Jan 23 2018

Protests banned in Turkish capital during Syria offensive

The governor of Ankara has banned all demonstrations of any kind in the Turkish capital for the duration of Turkey’s military operation in the Kurdish-controlled Syrian province of Afrin.

In a written statement quoted by Islamist newspaper Yeni Asya, the governor’s office said various political parties and civil society groups had been planning to protest the military operation in the city of more than five million people.

This could “open up the way for undesirable events between citizens using areas open to the public, squares, roads, parks, and other areas of relaxation,” the statement said, warning that information had been received that anti-war demonstrations could be the target of bomb attacks.

The statement banned “all meetings, press conferences, hunger strikes, sit-ins, concerts, festivals, exhibitions and similar demonstrations and activities” throughout the Afrin operation.