High security in Istanbul to prevent New Year repeat attack
Istanbul will be under high security on New Year’s Eve this year in an attempt to prevent a recurrence of last year’s Islamic State attack that killed 39 people, independent news agency Bianet said.
“The precautions that led the Reina attacker last year to take a picture of Taksim (Square) and then go elsewhere will be doubled,” it quoted Beyoğlu District Police Chief İsmail Kılıç as saying.
Abdulkadir Masharipov, visited Taksim, one of the city’s most iconic squares, then travelled to the upmarket Reina nightclub and began shooting patrons with an automatic weapon in the early hours of Jan. 1, 2017, killing 39 and wounding 70.
This year, there would be police posted all around the Taksim area, Kılıç said.
An ISIS suicide bomber killed three Israeli-Americans and one Iranian in the area in March 2016.