Over 280,000 detained, 94,000 arrested since failed coup - Turkish interior minister
Turkey has detained a total of 282,790 people, arresting 94,975 of them on charges related to the 2016 failed coup attempt, Turkish Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said Wednesday.
Of those taken into police custody, 25,912 remain in Turkish prisons, Sözcü newspaper quoted Soylu as saying in a statement released on the fourth anniversary of the failed putsch.
The Turkish government maintains the failed coup attempt, which claimed the lives of 250 people and wounding over 2,000, was carried out by the Gülen movement, a religious group led by U.S.-based cleric Fethullah Gülen. Ankara designates the group a terrorist organisation and leads a worldwide crackdown against it.
Since the failed putsch, Turkey has conducted 99,066 operations targeting Gülenists and started legal proceedings against 597,783 people, Soylu said.
On Tuesday, Turkish Defence Minister Hulusi Akar said that 20,077 members of the Gülen movement had been dismissed from the Turkish Armed Forces to date.
Over 150,000 public employees have been suspended or sacked as part of the Turkish government’s global crackdown on the group.