Nov 20 2017

Turkey sues coup suspects for damage to public property

Turkey is suing 661 coup suspects for a total of $8.7 million for damage to public property during a failed July 2016 attempt to overthrow the government, state news agency Anadolu said.

“In the 197-page petition filed to Ankara 15th Criminal Court of First Instance, 661 suspects including Fethullah Gülen, Adil Öksüz, and Kemal Batmaz are accused of being jointly and severally liable for the damage,” Anadolu said.

The Turkish government accuses exile preacher Gülen’s followers, including Öksüz and Batmaz, of masterminding last year’s coup attempt.

Öksüz and Batmaz are charged with being intermediaries between Gülen and the putschist generals; Öksüz was released on the morning after the coup and is believed to be on the run. Gülen has lived in the United States since 1999.