Dec 27 2017

Turkey’s S-400 purchase nearing end – Russian arms company head

Turkey’s purchase of four divisions of S-400 surface-to-air missile divisions – which are incompatible with NATO systems – for $2.5 billion from Russia has almost been finalised,  according head of Russian state conglomerate Rostec Sergei Chemezov, Business Insider reported.

 NATO member Turkey’s move to purchase Russian missile systems which cannot be integrated into NATO’s military structure remains a source of concern for the West.

“Turkey will pay 45 percent of the costs up front with Russia providing loans to cover the remaining 55 percent,” Chemezov was quoted as saying. “Moscow expects to begin the first deliveries in March 2020.”

Relations between the NATO military alliance and Russia were established in 1991 and NATO unanimously decided to suspend cooperation with Russia on April 1, 2014 in response to the Ukraine crisis.

Turkey has been the first NATO member state to seek to acquire the advanced S-400 missile system.

 

Click here to read the full article.