Over 25 women killed in Turkey since women's treaty exit - opposition party
Over 25 women have been killed in Turkey since the country withdrew from a European convention, which aims to protect women against violence, opposition Democracy and Progress Party (DEVA) said on Saturday.
Since the government of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan withdrew from the Istanbul Convention four weeks ago, "27 women have lost their lives and hundreds have been subjected to violence,’’ DEVA said in a video it shared on its official Twitter account.
Bir kişinin, bir gece yarısı yetkisizce İstanbul Sözleşmesi’ni feshettiği geceden bu geceye, 4 haftada 27 kadın hayatını kaybetti, yüzlercesi şiddet gördü.— DEVA Partisi (@devapartisi) April 16, 2021
Potansiyel katilleri cesaretlendirecek bu sözde feshi tanımıyoruz.
Kadınların yaşam haklarını savunmaktan vazgeçmeyeceğiz. pic.twitter.com/kJKgghDQTn
"We do not recognise this so-called annulment,’’ the party said. "We will never stop defending the right to life of women.’’
Erdoğan pulled Turkey out of the Istanbul Convention on women’s rightswith executive order last month,in a move that has sparked heavy criticism by Turkey’s Western allies and led to protests across the country.
The withdrawal arrives amid an escalation in violence against women and LGBT persons in the country, with particularly violent murders of several women shaking the country in the summer and fall of last year.
According to the Istanbul Convention, signatory states must ensure the implementation of the convention with no discrimination based on a number of characteristics, including sex, gender, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Civilian-run initiative tracking femicides, Anıt Sayaç, or the Counter Monument, has recorded 409 murders of women in 2020, and 77 in the first three months of 2021.
DEVA said it would share the cost of Turkey’s withdrawal from the treaty each month.