ECHR rejects Turkey’s appeal over ruling on former top court member
The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) has rejected an appeal by the Turkish government over the court’s decision on detained former Constitutional Court member Alparslan Altan, Euronews Turkish reported on Wednesday.
Altan was detained by Turkish authorities after a coup attempt in 2016 over links to Gülen movement, which the Turkish government accuses of orchestrating the failed putsch and designates a terrorist organisation.
The former Constitutional Court member was handed in March an 11 year three months sentence for being a member of a terrorist organisation.
The former deputy president of Turkey’s top court first used his right to submit an individual appeal to the Constitutional Court, saying that his sentence was not based on sufficient evidence. Altan later submitted an appeal to Europe’s top human rights court after the Turkish court rejected his appeal.
The ECHR ruling on Wednesday effectively prevents any further appeal by Turkey.
Meanwhile, Turkey’s Constitutional Court on Wednesday in a landmark ruling said that the rights of three prosecutors had been violated when they were dismissed following the 2016 failed putsch.
The court said that there was not enough evidence to prove that the three were linked to Gülen movement and ordered a payment of compensation over the dismissals.
Thousands in the judiciary in Turkey were sacked in the purges that followed the failed coup attempt. The mark dismissal by decree leaves on Turkish citizens’ official records makes finding future employment extremely difficult, and dismissed candidate judges were rejected when they applied to be approved to work as lawyers.