Turkish defender Cenk Şahin dismissed from German team over pro-military post

The Turkish player with Germany’s St. Pauli has been released from the football team after voicing support for Turkey’s ongoing offensive targeting Kurdish forces in northeast Syria.

The German team announced it was parting ways with 25-year-old fullback Cenk Şahin in an official statement on Monday.

"Sahin has been released from his training and playing duties with immediate effect. The prime factors in reaching the decisions were his repeated disregard for the club's values and the need to protect the player," St. Pauli said on its official website.

The decision follows an Instagram post by Şahin in support of Turkey's military offensive in Syria.

The post, featuring an image of the Turkish flag, said: "We are on the side of our heroic military and the army. Our prayers are with you!"

St. Pauli's fans, known for their left-leaning views, had been calling for Şahin’s dismissal, German broadcaster Deutsche Welle reported. 

Turkey's military intervention against Kurdish forces in northeastern Syria, which began on Oct. 9, has received international condemnation.

Other Turkish footballers are also in hot water over their support of the offensive.

The UEFA has launched an investigation against the Turkish national football team over a military salute to celebrate a goal in a game against France on Monday, according to Turkish press.

https://www.dw.com/en/germany-st-pauli-dismiss-turkish-defender-cenk-sahin-after-pro-military-post/a-50828963