Death toll from floods in Turkey’s Black Sea region rises to 10
The number of people confirmed killed by flooding last weekend in Turkey’s Black Sea province of Giresun rose to 10 after the discovery of the body of a man reported as missing, Birgün newspaper reported on Saturday.
The body of Kemal Akar - a shopkeeper from Giresun's Dereli district and one of seven people still missing after the floods on Aug. 22 - was found by a team from Turkey’s Disaster and Emergency Management Presidency (AFAD).
The search by AFAD, Gendarmerie, Coast Guard, and NGOs is ongoing for those who remain missing.
On Sunday, Anadolu cited Turkey’s Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu as saying a total of 127 people had been rescued in the northeastern province of Giresun and roads to 118 villages were closed.
The minster said heavy rains, which started last Saturday, reached 137 kilograms of density in some districts.
"We were not expecting such a grave scene when we arrived here," Soylu said after he had surveyed the scene. "We are faced with a serious situation.''
Environment and Urban Planning Minister Murat Kurum said hundreds of buildings had been damaged in the flooding.