Erdoğan’s warned South Africa against Gülen movement
Turkey’s president Recep Tayyip Erdoğan warned South Africa of the threat posed by the Gülen movement and added that Turkey would not allow Gülenists to make South Africa a base, Anadolu Agency reported on Thursday.
Turkish government accuses Gülen movement, a religious group led by Fethullah Gülen, of masterminding the coup attempt on July 15, 2016 and since then has been trying to purge what it calls the Fethullahist Terrorist Organisation (FETÖ) from education, from the diplomatic and political relationships, and from the economic and trade arenas outside Turkey, including African countries.
“South Africa is one of the countries where the terror group is most active,” Erdoğan said doing his visit to Johannesburg for the tenth summit of the BRICS bloc, which groups Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.
Erdoğan said that Turkey’s struggle against the Gülen movement would be on the agenda during his meeting with his South African counterpart. “This terrorist organisation which caused troubles for us on July 15, may in the near future cause troubles in South Africa,” Erdoğan added.
“We will not let FETO to pollute this country, to make this country a base for itself, and to abuse our South African brothers and sisters generosity,” Erdoğan said.