Turkish court orders 111 military personnel held over Gülen links
A Turkish court ordered 111 serving military personnel be held in custody for links to the banned Gülen movement, which accused of attempting to carry out a coup in 2016, state-run Anadolu news agency said on Wednesday.
The government accuses the Gülen movement, a secretive Islamist group formerly allied to the ruling party, of being behind the failed coup in which some 250 people were killed.
The court also ruled that another 27 people arrested should be released on bail.
Turkish prosecutors on Saturday ordered the arrest of 223 military personnel, and Anadolu said 180 suspects had been arrested, 40 had agreed to turn state’s witness and two freed due to changes in evidence against them.
All the suspects were accused of being in touch with the Gülen movement using public phones or landlines. More than 77,000 people have been jailed pending trial and about 150,000 civil servants, military personnel and others have been sacked or suspended from their jobs since the coup.