Assad forces continue targeting Turkish observation posts in Idlib - Turkey

Turkey said on Saturday that Syrian government forces had attacked its observation posts in Syria’s Idlib for a third time in less than one month.

Forces of the Syrian regime attacked an area located near Turkey’s 10th observation post, the Turkish Defence Ministry said in a written statement.

The ministry said there were no casualties and material damage. According to the ministry, the Syrian forces stopped shelling, after Turkey asked Russia to intervene.

This is the third time Turkey accuses Bashar Assad forces of targeting its observation posts located in a de-escalation zone which was established according to a deal Moscow and Ankara agreed in September to prevent Syrian government’s assault in Idlib.

Under the deal, Turkey agreed to remove jihadi rebel fighters in the de-escalation zone. But, since late April the Syrian government backed by Russia has intensified air raids and artillery fire against Hay'et Tahrir al-Sham, a former al-Qaeda affiliate, whose fighters dominate the area.

According Syrian Observatory for Human Rights, a watchdog reporting casualties in Syria, some 500 people so far lost their lives due to heavy bombardments and sporadic clashes in the country’s last major rebel-held enclave, which is home to three million internally displaced people.

https://www.msb.gov.tr/SlaytHaber/2962019-50665
This block is broken or missing. You may be missing content or you might need to enable the original module.