Top U.S. official in charge of policy toward Saudi Arabia resigns - NYT

A top White House official responsible for U.S. policy toward Saudi Arabia on Nov. 16 has resigned which indicates fractures inside the Trump administration over the response to the killing of Jamal Khashoggi, The New York Times said

As the newspaper writes, Kirsten Fontenrose,  a National Security Council official, was a supporter of a hard line towards Riyadh because of the murder of Saudi journalist. 

"The official, Kirsten Fontenrose, had pushed for tough measures against the Saudi government, and had been in Riyadh to discuss a raft of sanctions the U.S. government imposed in recent days against those identified as responsible for the killing," the newspaper said.

"The exact circumstances of her departure are murky, and it is unclear whether her advocacy for a hawkish response to the killing angered some in the White House," The New York Times added.

On Nov.16, the CIA concluded that Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman was responsible for the assassination of Khashoggi in Istanbul last month.

Earlier, State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said the United States would take additional measures regarding those involved in the killing of Khashoggi.

Khashoggi, a royal insider turned critic of Saudi policy, was killed in kingdom’s Istanbul consulate on Oct. 2. 

Saudi Arabian authorities on Oct. 25 accepted that the murder of the journalist was premeditated, reversing previous official statements that the killing was unintended.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/17/us/politics/trump-khashoggi-saudi-arabia.html