UN calls for 'credible' investigation into journalist Khashoggi case
UN chief Antonio Guterres on Sunday called for a "credible" investigation into the murder of Saudi dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi's in Saudi Arabia's consulate in Istanbul, France 24 news reported.
"It is absolutely essential to have a credible investigation and to have the punishment of those that were guilty," Guterres said during a speech at the Doha Forum conference in Qatar.
Fifty-nine year old Washington Post contributor Khashoggi, who was an outspoken critic of the kingdom’s crown prince Mohammed bin Salman, was killed on October 2 shortly after entering the Saudi’s consulate building. Turkey maintains the journalist was killed by a 15-member execution squad sent from Riyadh, which the kingdom denies.
Guterres noted he had no information on the case which has sparked international outrage except what had been reported in the media.
Turkey has demands to extradite suspects connected to the murder of Khashoggi, which Saudi has repeatedly rejected.
The calls from the UN chief follow a statement from Turkey's Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu who on Saturday said Turkey would "not give up" on the case.
The Turkish minister said that many European countries are ignoring the murder, even as they promote freedom of expression and protection of journalists.
"Many European countries, who are promoting freedom of media, freedom of expression, are closing their eyes. These countries, and the politicians, are putting some sanctions on people who are already in prison, who will never be visiting those countries. At the same time, we haven't accepted any proposal to close this case," Çavuşoğlu said at the Doha Forum.
U.S. President Donald Trump last month said that the United States will not punish the kingdom for its role in the killing of Khashoggi and will continue supplying arms to its long-time Middle East ally.