Trump’s Jerusalem move ‘unwise and provocative’ – The Arab Weekly
London-based newspaper The Arab Weekly listed the reasons why U.S. President Donald Trump’s recognition of Jerusalem as Israel’s capital was “unwise and unnecessarily provocative”:
- It runs counter to UN Security Council resolutions against Israel’s annexation of East Jerusalem, and violates the inadmissibility of acquisition of territory by war;
- It betrays promises made by the international community, including by the United States, that Jerusalem’s status would be determined as part a comprehensive solution to the Israeli-Palestine conflict;
- It undermines U.S. commitment to peace in the Middle East by questioning Trump’s fairness as a broker of negotiations, and even his sincerity;
- It weakens Trump internationally, as criticism against his decision is mounting, but also domestically as only one-third of U.S. Republicans support his move;
- It strengthens extremists in the region by allowing them to argue the West is hostile to Arabs and Muslims.