Turkey launches probe into Turkish Cypriot journalist’s murder following mobster claims
The Istanbul Chief Public Prosecutor’s Office has launched in investigation into the murder of a Turkish Cypriot journalist in 1996, following claims by an organised crime leader that a Turkish government official had ordered his killing, Deutsche Welle Turkish reported.
Kutlu Adalı was working on an exposé on corruption in the breakaway Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus (TRNC), before and after the 1974 invasion of the island by Turkey that resulted in the split that continues to this day. The opposition journalist was gunned down in front of his home on July 6, 1996.
The investigation seeks to obtain evidence on the murder of Adalı, while allowing for correspondence to gain access to information and documents from legal sources in the TRNC, according to DW.
Convicted crime boss Sedat Peker last week said that former police chief and interior minister Mehmet Ağar had hired his brother to kill the journalist. The 49-year-old mob boss said that while his brother, Atilla Peker, was unable to carry out the killing,he had been assured at the time by Ankara that the matter been “taken care of.’’
The self-exiled mob boss’s claims linking past and present government officials to organised crime have taken Turkey by storm.
The new investigation into Adalı’s murder is based on application for the probe by Atilla Peker that “included various claims,” Deutsche Welle said.