Libya's GNA withdraws from peace talks in Geneva

Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA), has announced on Tuesday that it has withdrawn from the talks in Geneva to continue ceasefire after the self-proclaimed Libyan National Army (LNA) targeted a Turkish cargo ship carrying arms at the Tripoli seaport.

The country’s opposing sides had begun discussing a peace deal on Tuesday sponsored by the United Nations before the GNA suspended the talks.

“The Turkish ship loaded with weapons and ammunition docked this morning in the port of Tripoli was destroyed,” said the statement, cited by Saudi news outlet Al Arabiya.

Authorities moved all ships including fuel tankers out of the port after Tuesday’s attack, two port officials told Reuters. The Tripoli forces said the LNA had fired four missiles. A port source told Al Arabiya that a warehouse had been hit.

The LNA, led by General Khalifa Haftar, started a campaign last April to take the Libyan capital, the seat of power for the Turkish-backed GNA. Turkey has sent troops and weapons to the GNA in return for the Tripoli-based government’s support to Turkish commercial interests in the eastern Mediterranean.

The port attack came as Libya’s conflicting factions met for a second round of talks in Geneva to establish a peace agreement.