Peker’s lawyers deny reports of Turkish mob boss’ capture
Lawyers of organised crime boss Sedat Peker have denied reports that the mobster has been caught by Turkish authorities amid his unusual absence on social media over the past two days, Halk TV reported on Sunday.
Cumhuriyet newspaper also dismissed reports of the 49-year-old ultranationalist mobster’s capture by Turkish authorities, citing Peker’s press advisor Emre Olur.
The YouTube videos and tweets of the fugitive crime boss, who once openly supported President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan's Justice and Development Party (AKP), accusing past and present government officials of corruption and links to organised crime, have created a shock effect in Turkey since they began airing in early May.
Peker fled Turkey last year and settled in the Balkans before relocating to Dubai earlier this year. On Wednesday, Peker announced that he was forced to relocate for security reasons but he would try to publish a new video on Sunday.
The mob boss said the location of his Dubai hotel had been leaked.
The mobsters’ two-day-long absence online has sparked questions in Turkish media on whether he has been caught by Turkish intelligence.
Peker on Saturday had said that had been unable to secure ‘’a safe environment’’ to continue to with his tell all videos, targeting the likes of Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu and former interior minister and police chief Mehmet Ağar.
Sources speaking to opposition outlet OdaTV,said that while Peker had not yet been caught, there was an operation underway to nab the mob boss.
Prior to postponing his latest video, Peker announced he was delaying another video set to address Erdoğan until after the Turkish president meets with his U.S. counterpart Joe Biden on June 14 on the sidelines of the NATO summit in Brussels.