Turkish mob boss Peker relocates after interrogation by Dubai police

Dubai police on Sunday interrogated Turkish mob boss Sedat Peker for several hours before releasing him, Peker’s press advisor said on Twitter.

The 49-year-old fugitive mobster, who has been in Dubai since earlier this year, has caused waves in Turkey with his tell-all videos released on YouTube, in which he accuses past and present Turkish government officials of corruption and links to organised crime.

Peker voluntarily went alone to Dubai police after they invited him to make a statement, Peker’s advisor Emre Olur told Reuters.

Late on Sunday, Peker said he told Dubai police of death threats against him.

Peker took to Twitter late Sunday to break his two-day silence on social media, which sparked rumours on Turkish social media and in the press of his capture by Turkish intelligence.

“We had a conversation due to the depth of claims against me. The police told me that I am a guest in their country like everyone else as there is no Interpol decision against me,” he said. “They also said there is no problem for me to stay or leave the country.’’

The United Arab Emirates, a regional rival to Turkey, has no extradition agreement with Ankara.

Peker announced last week that he would be relocating from Dubai after the location of the hotel he was staying in was leaked.

“As of noon, I left the venue I was staying at along with officials,’’ the ultranationalist mob boss said late Sunday, stopping short of disclosing his location.” I am now in a new location, back with my family.’’

Turkish officials have vehemently denied the claims made by Peker, who rose to prominence as an underworld figure in the 1990s. Known as a staunch supporter of President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan, Peker has been sentenced to prison multiple times for gang-related crimes and was last released in 2014.