Dutch police hunt for Turkish man following tram shooting that killed 3
Dutch security forces are on the hunt for Gökmen Tanış, a 37-year-old Turkish man, as the perpetrator of on attack in the city of Utrecht, Netherlands on Monday, which left three dead and several injured, Euronews reported.
Tanış is suspected of having shot several people, one of them possibly fatally, on a tram in the city of Utrecht on Monday, in what authorities say appears to be a terrorist attack.
Dutch authorities have raised the terrorism threat to its highest level in Utrecht province as schools were told to shut their doors and paramilitary police increased security at mosques, airports and other vital infrastructure, Reuters news agency said.
Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte said he was deeply concerned about the incident, which arrives just three days after a lone gunman killed 50 people in mass shootings targeting two mosques in the city of Christchurch, New Zealand.
“A lot is still unclear at this point and local authorities are working hard to establish all the facts. What we already know is that a culprit is at large,” Counter-Terrorism Agency head Pieter-Jaap Aalbersberg told a news conference, adding that the shooting “appears to be a terrorist attack.”
A Turkish businessman residing in Utrecht told BBC Turkish that Tanış had previously been arrested for membership in the Islamic State (ISIS) and was later released.
Tanış was a ‘’solitary’’ person, who also travelled to and fought in the Chechen Republic, he told BBC.