Russia says Turkey reassured Moscow that no new Syria operation planned - TASS

Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov said on Wednesday that Turkey had reassured Russia that it would not launch a new military operation in northern Syria.

Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said on Tuesday that the United States and Russia had not fully complied with agreements that require the withdrawal of Kurdish militia from territories in northern Syria along the Turkish border, adding that Turkey would act again if needed. 

“There was a contact between representatives of the Turkish government and our ambassador and they assured our envoy that this was a misunderstanding and that no one in Ankara called in question the work being done by Russia,” Russian state news agency TASS quoted Lavrov as saying. 

“Neither Mr. Çavuşoğlu, my colleague and friend, nor Mr. [Turkish Presidential Spokesman İbrahim] Kalın spoke about any resumption of the Peace Spring operation," Lavrov said.

Turkey launched a military operation in north Syria last month against Kurdish-led People’s Protection Units (YPG), which Turkey sees as an extension of the outlawed Kurdistan Workers Party (PKK).

The offensive ended in nine day as Turkey made to separate agreements with the United States and Russia for the withdrawal of the YPG 30 km south from towns and cities along the Turkish border. 

Turkish and Russian forces started joint patrols last month in a 10 km deep area along a 444 km strip of the Turkish-Syrian border. 

https://tass.com/politics/1090833