U.S. can’t stall Turkey on Syria safe zone, says Turkish Foreign Minister

Any attempt by the United States to stall the establishment of a U.S.-Turkey safe zone in northern Syria will fail, Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu said on Thursday. 

"What we say is that a U.S. stalling tactic will not work,” Çavuşoğlu said during a news conference, before referring to a 2018 U.S.-Turkey security deal over the northern Syrian town of Manbij. “Unfortunately, they employed such stalling on Manbij, they did not keep their promise.”

Last week, Turkish and U.S. officials agreed to set up a safe zone and develop a peace corridor to facilitate the return of displaced Syrians currently living in Turkey. The deal prioritises measures necessary to address Turkey's security concerns, including pushing out Kurdish militia from parts of the area. 

Çavuşoğlu underscored that the agreement between Ankara and Washington for a safe zone was only preliminary and many details still need to be nailed down, according to Hürriyet Daily News.