Turkey arrested 30,000 since failed coup, says interior minister
Turkey's Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said on Sunday that 511,000 were detained while 30,821 were arrested in the country since 2016 failed coup attempt in operations against Gülen movement, reported the state-run Anadolu Agency.
"Especially with Justice Ministry, Foreign Ministry and the Maarif Foundation, we are trying to wage a struggle within the country and abroad," Soylu said in an interview with Anadolu Agency.
Turkey's Maarif Foundation, which is responsible for Turkey's education activities abroad in coordination with the Education Ministry and Foreign Affairs Ministry, is working to take over Gülen movement-linked schools all around the world.
"38,578 were dismissed and 5,679 were suspended from our ministry until now. Some of the suspended are behind bars. 31,000 of those were from police department while 4,159 were gendarme, 348 were coast guards and there were some from civil administration," said Soylu.
Turkish government accuses Gülen movement, a religious group led by Fethullah Gülen, of masterminding the coup attempt on July 15, 2016, and since then has been trying to purge what it calls the Fethullahist Terrorist Organisation (FETÖ) from education, from the diplomatic and political relationships, and from the economic and trade arenas inside and outside Turkey.
The Gülen movement denies any links to the coup attempt, during which 251 people were killed and nearly 2,200 wounded.