Libyan government in Tripoli says ceasefire will not affect Turkey deals
Libyan authorities in Tripoli said on Sunday that a permanent ceasefire deal reached during talks last week in Geneva would not affect military agreements with Turkey and they would continue cooperation with Ankara, the Turkish state-run Anadolu news agency said.
“We affirm the strengthening of cooperation with our Turkish ally and the continuation of the training programs that have been received and will be received by affiliates at the training institutes of the Ministry of Defense of the Government of National Accord,” Defence Minister Salaheddin al-Namroush said.
Turkey and Libya's internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) signed two separate agreements in November last year, including one on military cooperation calling for increased exchange of personnel, materials, equipment, consultancy, and expertise between the two sides.
Turkey then stepped up its military support to the GNA, providing arms, intelligence and know-how, along with thousands of Syrian mercenaries, many of whom had links to jihadist groups.
The United Nations said on Friday that the permanent ceasefire agreement between the GNA and opposition forces was an “historic achievement”.
The deal stipulates that all mercenaries and foreign fighters leave Libya within three months.
The GNA said that “the agreement does not include the legitimate agreements with Turkey”, according to Anadolu.
The Libyan army said on Sunday that its troops continued to receive training in Turkey, according to the Libya Observer.