Turkish defence ministry says Libyan ceasefire in place
Turkey's Defence Ministry said on Sunday that all parties were abiding by the Turkish-Russian-brokered ceasefire in Libya despite temporary disruptions by sporadic clashes that were later terminated, state-run Anadolu news agency reported.
"In both regions, it is observed that the parties have tried to comply with the ceasefire since its announcement and the situation is calm except for one or two cases. The ceasefire processes are closely monitored," the defence ministry said in a statement.
Libya is split between the internationally recognised Government of National Accord (GNA) in Tripoli, and the Tobruk government, headed by the leader of the Libyan National Army (LNA). Haftar has led an assault to control Tripoli since April.
Turkey backs the Islamist-rooted GNA while Moscow puts support behind the LNA.
Last week, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin called on all fighting parties in the Libyan conflict to accept a ceasefire by midnight on Jan. 12.
Fayez al-Sarraj, the leader of the GNA welcomed the ceasefire call while Haftar firstly rejected but later accepted the ceasefire on Sunday.