Erdoğan, Trump discuss developments in Libya in phone call
Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump discussed recent developments in war-torn Libya in a phone call on Wednesday, state-run Anadolu news agency said.
The pair also discussed a range of bilateral and regional issues, Anadolu said.
The call between the pair follows a previous conversation on the embattled North African country on Jan. 8, when Trump told Erdoğan that foreign interference in Libya complicates the situation.
Turkey earlier this month began deploying troops to Libya to prop up the U.N. recognised Tripoli government, which has been fighting a months-long offensive by a rival faction, looking to seize the Libyan capital.
Warring Libyan factions on Tuesday failed to sign a deal that would have cemented the ceasefire that began at midnight on Saturday after 9 months of fierce fights.
General Khalifa Haftar, head of the Libyan National Army (LNA) under the Tobruk government, decided against signing the deal with Fayez al-Sarraj, head of the Tripoli-based Government of National Accord (GNA).
Meanwhile, Turkey signed two memoranda of understanding with the GNA on Nov. 27, one for military cooperation which allows Turkey to deploy troops in the war-torn country, the other for the delineation of the maritime boundaries in the eastern Mediterranean.
Turkey began deploying military personnel to Libya immediately after the Turkish parliament approved sending troops in support of the GNA. And, Haftar's LNA has received support from Egypt, the United Arab Emirates, Jordan, Saudi Arabia and Russia.