U.S. missions in Turkey closed down due to terror threat
The United States’ Mission in Turkey has released a warning about possible terrorist attacks targeting U.S. or other foreign nationals in Turkey.
The website of the U.S. Embassy in Ankara released a statement on Friday saying it had “received credible reports of potential terrorist attacks and kidnappings against U.S. citizens and foreign nationals in Istanbul, including against the U.S. Consulate General”.
As a result, the embassy said it had suspended all American citizen and visa services at its facilities in Ankara, Istanbul, Adana and Izmir.
The U.S. Embassy advised Americans to “exercise caution and remain vigilant” and “avoid crowds”, as well as to avoid “locations where Americans or foreigners may gather, including large office buildings or shopping malls”.
The pro-Government Daily Sabah reported last month that Turkey’s Interior Minister Süleyman Soylu said Turkey had stopped 152 terror attacks by the ISIS terror group in 2020.
Also in September, Soylu announced that security services had arrested the alleged top ISIS leader in Turkey, Mahmut Özden.
The last time a terrorist attack specifically targeted foreign nationals in Turkey was in January 2016, when a Saudi national killed eleven German and one Peruvian tourists in a suicide bomb attack in Istanbul’s historical Sultanahmet area.
In a tweet message sent from U.S. Embassy, U.S. citizens are asked not to come to the U.S. mission facilities for dropping ballots for the U.S. elections scheduled to be held on Nov. 3rd.
ATTN❗: U.S. Citizens, please note that it is no longer possible to drop off your ballots at the U.S. Embassy or Consulates. We recommend checking if your state can accept your ballot by fax or email, or use a courier service at: https://t.co/JDJax9vq3H #vote2020 @FVAP pic.twitter.com/K6u1lbAZee— U.S. Embassy Turkey (@USEmbassyTurkey) October 23, 2020